Makes 10 portions
- 170g rolled oats
- 170g grain of your choice. I used rolled barley flakes
- 250 mixed nuts. You can add coconut shavings
- 50g seeds, I used a mix of pumpkin, sesame and sunflower
- 40g coconut oil (or sunflower oil)
- 120 ml runny honey (about 8 tbsp)
To be mixed in when the granola has cooled
- 100g mixed dried fruit
- 4 tbsp freeze dried strawberries (optional as they can be hard to find)
Preheat the oven to 170C/335F Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Place the oats, grains, nuts and seeds in a large bowl and mix well. Place the coconut oil in a pan and add the honey. Gently heat until they have melted together.
Add the coconut oil and honey to the grains, nuts and seeds and mix well so all the ingredients are coated with the sweet liquid.
Place the granola on the lined baking tray and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Keep an eye on how the granola is cooking and check it after 20 minutes for any areas which may be browning too quickly. If so give the granola a stir round.
Take the granola from the oven when it is just turning golden brown. It will still feel soft at this stage. Leave to cool and it will become crunchy as it does so.
Mix in the dried fruit and transfer the granola to an airtight jar or container.
Serve with milk, yogurt, kefir, skyr, milk and fresh or stewed fruit.
Granola also makes a great snack and is a great standby as a sprinkle for puddings that need cheering up like stewed rhubarb.